Counter

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Last Day for Some Campers

So the last day is quickly approaching. Many campers are surprised how fast the week went by. If your a first time parent at Asbury Hills like I was this year, I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly the check out happened. There again, it just seemed to run fairly well. I was especially impressed with the nice "extra" touches the staff provided for the parents and family who arrived to pick up their campers.

As expected the counselors directing traffic were helpful, courteous, and had smiles on their faces. When we parked after grabbing the kids' stuff, we could hear the band playing. I appreciated this because I am still learning my way around the grounds. (I admit that I'm what you might call directionally challenged.) The band playing helped to guide us to the final destination. But before we made it there we stopped at the dining hall for a snow cone! Who would have thought we would have snow cones when we pick up our kids. I felt like I was at camp myself for a few moments getting that little treat. Very nice guys!

When I picked up my kids, I didn't see any tears from any of the departing campers. I only saw smiles and excitement at seeing family and friends after a great week at camp. However, I have heard that there have been tears. Some kids just learn to appreciate camp as this "safe" place. It's a place where everyone can be on an even playing field.

As a former Camp Director its something that I talked a lot about with my staff as well. The idea that we have kids who come from all walks of life coming together at camp. This must be a place where all kids have the opportunity to stretch their wings and grow. If it's done right, all kids just know that this is the place they can say anything and be okay. They can ask those questions they may have thought they couldn't before. And because of this feeling of sanctuary at camp, it can be hard to leave.

Even the most adjusted kid, the kids from the best parents and best homes may experience a little of this "let down" when they come home. Think about when you come home from a vacation. You've been living, perhaps, in a place where your bed gets made the floors get vacuumed, you can go play golf just because you feel like it, and fall asleep whenever you want watching your favorite shows. When you come home and hit the ground running back in your daily grind, don't you feel a little down? The kids may feel a little of the same way. After a week of playing hard, worshiping, and engaging in faith forming activities, it may hit them how different life really is.

This is a good thing though. It means they've been thinking and learning. It means they'll look forward to going back to that sanctuary next year to keep doing those things. Before its all over, our kids will be the leaders of other kids in their faith forming moments. I think that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment