Counter

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rainy Days At Camp?

I don't know what the weather has been like where you are, but here in Charlotte its been pretty rough. I am checking in with the camp to see how their weather has been and how that has affected their plans and activities this week. I will say that I've been very impressed so far with how they have worked around the weather.

Being a part of camp staff, I can say that having a "Plan B", "Plan C", and sometimes a "Plan D" would come in handy. Especially for these rainy days. I've had some really creative staff who have looked at the rainy weather not as a burden but an opportunity for creativity at its best. Canoe trips happening in the dining hall, some of the best skits come out of groups hanging out in a common area, and fantastic conversations happening all around. This staff doesn't seem to be the exception to this. There have been weeks that I've asked specifically if plans have had to change, and it seems as those activities happen as scheduled. One way or another, things happen without fail. Camping under the tarps... in the rain... still happen. Only one group, if I'm remembering correctly, had a tarp not particularly working correctly returned to their cabins for the night. However, they tried to stick it out as long as possible. Don't forget this kind of stuff makes for great memories and fantastic tall tales later!

Some things to share with your kids in your emails and letters:

- a great camping experience you've had either as an adult or as a kid. Or perhaps there's something you've always wanted to do at camp and have never been able to do.

- I encourage parents to also encourage their campers to be open to new experiences at camp and during worship. That you just never know how God may speak to you whether it's through the music, through friends, or devotions times.

- Don't assume your camper may be having a rough time with the weather. Just be encouraging about how much fun it is to play in the rain. If you're worried and it shows, they might become a little apprehensive too. Trust me, they have really great counselors. They're doing everything they can and more to make sure your child is having a great and meaningful time!

As soon as I hear more about what's been going on for sure, I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment